Citation - December 2022
Brad has been an active member of the NSW RFS since 1 January 2002 - initially joining the Williamsdale Brigade, the forerunner of the Jerrabomberra Creek Rural Fire Brigade.
He has been the Brigade’s Treasurer for 14 years, a Deputy Captain for 8 years, Senior Deputy Captain 4 years, and Captain for 4 Years. He currently holds the positions of Deputy Captain and Treasurer.
Brad worked closely with Life Member Mark Barrett in obtaining funding for the Brigade’s Training Room from the Queanbeyan Council, and then oversaw the construction of the building, drawing on the expertise of contacts from outside employment and other members of the brigade.
Since joining the RFS Brad has been involved in many major incidents within the Brigade area, the District, NSW more broadly, and Victorian deployments. During the 2019/20 season he captained the Brigade and for the district part of that season (48 days) either saw crews off each morning (20 days) or filled the role of Crew Leader, Sector Leader, or 8 days as a Divisional Commander.
Brad has become increasingly involved in Training and Assessment at a District level. He recently gained the qualification of Enterprise Skills Trainer and Assessor as well as re-qualifying for most of the existing qualifications he held.
During his time with the Brigade, Brad has received the following awards:
- Rural Fire Service, 10 year Long Service Medal
- National Medal, 15 years Meritorious Service (including prior Service with the Australian Army Reserve)
- National Medal Clasp 1, 25 years Meritorious Service
- Premier’s Emergency Citation (2019 - 2020 Black Summer Fires)
- National Emergency Medal (2019 - 2020 Black Summer Fires)
- Rural Fire Service 20 year Clasp (Long Service Medal).